I have a paid NYTimes.com account. How do I switch to the free SFSU one?


If you already subscribe to The New York Times (NYT) with a paid personal subscription and you'd like to change it to a free SF State-provided account, you will need to cancel your personal subscription before you can claim your free SF State account. You may continue to use the email address and password associated with your canceled subscription, which enables you to keep any personalization and newsletters you receive.

To cancel an existing account, please contact New York Times Customer Care:

  • Phone: 800-698-4637
  • Email: edu@nytimes.com

You can also log in to your NYT account and navigate to the option to cancel.

After you've canceled your account, sign up via the SFSU NYT sign-up link using your SFSU email address. Instead of creating a new account, click on "Already have an account? Log in here." Then enter your existing personal username and password. Your existing account will be automatically associated with the SFSU subscription.

If you wish to keep your existing personal account and just cancel the paid subscription, we suggest changing the email address on your current account to something other than your SFSU email address before canceling. That will allow you to activate your SFSU account 24 hours afterward. The NYTimes system recognizes only one unique email address per active account.

Other things to note:

  • Student access runs through Dec. 31 of their graduation year.
  • Faculty and staff renew access every four years.
  • Premium apps (Cooking, Games, Wirecutter, and The Athletic) are NOT included.

(Thanks to CSU San Bernadino and the U. of Washington Libraries for some of this content.)


  • Last Updated Feb 02, 2023
  • Views 174
  • Answered By Hesper Wilson

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0 0